Just a brief update for those who are not following my progress thread. This is progress since my last post:
It is now possible to create, load and save custom maps, choosing terrain and defining province borders+names. These can then be used when starting a game. All other aspects of the world will be randomly generated. Future additions to the editor will allow (the optional) specification of cultures, races, units, factions, deities, dungeons, ancient evils, etc. I will make a video showing the editor in action very soon ™.
- Tool tips for wizard selection (traits and starting research).
- Army window now shows status effects (incl. duration) on units.
- Army window unit list has larger font and a unit-specific icon, making the list much more readable and units faster to identify.
- Recruitment window unit list has larger font and a unit-specific icon, making the list much more readable and units faster to identify.
- Dark Sacrifice spell implemented. It gives mana and (sometimes) research progress, at the cost of unrest and tyranny.
- World spells can have a cooldown, where after being cast, a certain number of turns must pass until it can be recast. This cooldown can be shared among spells (ie casting one spell triggers the cooldown for all of them).
- Scouting attribute added for unit types. This is used by the new battle engine.
- When training new units, a trainer can be selected. A trainer with the Train Troops skill allows full-speed recruitment. A martial character can train troops without this skill but at half speed. Recruitment without a trainer is at quarter speed.
Misc. & Bug Fixes:
- Movement cost when using roads was 2 for minor roads (1 for major roads). This is now 1 for minor roads on base cost 2 terrain, 3 for minor roads on base cost 6+ terrain, and 2 for minor roads on 3-5 cost terrain.
- Unpaid upkeep for regiments now causes desertion and/or attrition. Summoned/bound regiments are always lost if upkeep is not paid.
- Tool tip flicker and alignment issues fixed.
- Stat bonuses are now included on the army window.
- “No Upkeep” regiment status effect now properly applied in all cases.
- Army General regiment buff now lasts until General is unassigned (previously only effective on turn of assignment).
- Further improvements to the unit naming engine
- New battle engine.
- Research mechanics rework to make research more interesting and less opaque (especially in the early game)